Wednesday 8 October 2014

Midweek miscellany I

In addition to my regular Saturday posts, I have decided to do occasional posts midweek, when I have some small observation or discovery.

Having posted twice about the dismembered Pietro Ursuleo manuscript, I thought it would be worth putting side-by-side the miniatures of the Evangelist Matthew. It is interesting how remarkably similar they are, despite being by different illuminators: the leaf in South Carolina is attributed to Cola Rapicano, while the Cambridge volume is attributed to Matteo Felice.
University of South Carolina, MS 68
Cambridge, Trinity College, MS O.7.46
Univ. of South Carolina, MS 68 (detail)
Cambridge, Trinity College, MS O.7.46 (detail)
Some details vary slightly, but others, such as the form of the writing-desk, strongly suggest the use of a shared pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

** PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR COMMENT **

I may ignore and delete anonymous comments